Sunday, January 31, 2010

Wednesday, January 27th

Teachers teach more by what they are than by what they say.

Mr. Coe met with me on Wednesday and discussed his thoughts about Tuesday's observations. His comments were primarily positive, and I found all of his suggestions helpful as they genuinely addressed issues which I've been personally concerned about: things like calming the students down when they get overly rambunctious or noisy, and addressing those students who refuse to work on their assignments. He had some helpful hints, and during our discussion Ms. Luby jumped in on the conversation and offered her advice too. She mentioned that her strategy for getting the students to focus in class is that she continually re-states what her expectations are of them for that class hour. For instance, "I expect you guys to be working quietly on your journals until the end of the hour." I went ahead and gave Luby's tactic a try, starting Wednesday and continuing on throughout the rest of the week, and I was able to find some relative success. Thanks Luby for your advice!

No comments:

Post a Comment