Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Day 11- Tuesday, January 26

"A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove . . . . but the world maybe different because I was important in the life of a child." - Kathy Davis

Today was another day of blunders. This morning I got off to a rough start as I spent nearly half an hour attempting to open my car doors. Finally giving up, I let the morning ice & frozen locks win as I began calling for favors. Thankfully, one of my friends answered their phone and I managed to get a ride from Miss Katie. Thanks so much to her!

After arriving at school about a half hour later than I usually do (I stepped in at 8:05am), I was worried that the school's principal Mr. Hildenbrand may be disappointed in my tardiness. But I had contacted Luby early on in the morning to let her know that I would be late, and I took comfort in knowing that she would stand in my corner.

Today that the kids and I began working on a "journaling" assignment. I introduced the assignment to the students during class, brainstormed about 20 ideas with them, and allowed them the rest of the hour to work on the project. Overall, the students responded to the assignment relatively well. The majority of the kids openly hate writing, and so when I told them that I would like to see 6 pages of journal entries from them at the end of the week I did not encounter a lot of smiles. But eventually I got most everyone engaged. Perhaps my happiest accomplishment of today was motivating a student named Andrayes to actually put the pen to paper and write! Andrayes openly hates English class- and especially writing. I know that he's a smart kid, I've seen the proof of it in my discussions with him and some of the few assignments he's handed in during my time student teaching. But to get Andrayes to write, even Luby says, is not an easy task. I did it today!! I mean, he didn't write much, but he managed about half a page by the end of class & it's something.

I had my first evaluation from Mr. Coe, my Univeristy Ambassador today. Tomorrow he will return to discuss his observations. I'm hoping that I didn't fair too poorly... we'll just have to wait and see...

No comments:

Post a Comment