Sunday, January 31, 2010

Friday, January 29th

Teaching should be such that what is offered is perceived as a valuable gift and not as a hard duty.

Let's see, what did I learn on Friday? I spent Friday allowing the students work time: they worked on their outlines, speeches, and the journal assignments which I'd made due at the end of the school day on Friday. The "mini essays" assignment required the kids to each fill three pieces of paper, front and back, with responses to the 20-some prompts which I'd provided for them. I created the assignment as a means of learning more about the students' personalities and their writing levels. When I first assigned the project on Tuesday, I received a wave of moans and groans. But I was surprised by the number of finished writings that I received on Friday- the majority of the kids actually completed the assignment, despite how flabbergasted they initially were by the amount of writing I was looking for. Just goes to show that, when pushed, I can get these guys to really step up their game.

No comments:

Post a Comment