Monday, March 1, 2010

Thursday, Feb 25th

The students weren't in today, as all day the school hosted parent-teacher conferences. Our first session was pretty quiet; only 3 sets of parents in 3 hours. After lunch things picked up. We ended up seeing, if I remember right, 40-some parents. Not a bad turn out. I found it a little comical how some parents seemed so shocked by their student's grades. No one seemed mad at me or Ms. Luby necessarily, but at the same time there were many parents who certainly didn't leave their conference smiling. I guess that I came from a home with relatively strict parents who kept fairly close tabs on my school happenings. It surprises, and saddens, me to see how little some of these parents pay attention to their kids' academics. I recognize that lives become busy and with work, family, and other activities it can be a challenge to keep tabs on a student. But I wish for my students that more parents would.

No comments:

Post a Comment