Thursday, April 1, 2010

Monday, March 15-

Monday 3/15: We worked on finishing up Memory Boy throughout this week, and on Monday we followed our normal routine for this unit. The students met with their Lit Circles, got a new Lit Circle sheet & then we read the last couple chapters of the book. I read the chapters out loud today, which I've done a couple times throughout the course of reading this book. I've noticed that the kids seem to definitely prefer when I read a book out loud to them rather than having to read the book to themselves. And I have no issue with reading to the students, but I want to be sure that when I'm doing so it is in order to help students to more easily understand and comprehend the content of the reading. I recognize that some readers do require that words be processed audibly in order for comprehension to occur. But I worry at times that the kids instead ask me to read out loud to them because they simply don't want to exert the effort involved in actually read a text silently. The students' behavior is typically superb when I read out loud, which isn't always an easy accomplishment for me; yet I want the students to be capable of silent, independent reading because of the importance of this skill... so until I determine a more perfect remedy, I shall continue to alternate my techniques and hope that in the meantime I'm accommodating everyone at at least some of the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment