Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Tuesday February 16th & Wednesday February 17th

This week we continued our persuasive essays. The papers are due this Friday and I've been doing my best to work through each step with the students. I want them to come away from this assignmend with a better understanding of the writing process, and especially the ability to create and support a solid arguement. So, in hopes of building those skills, I've asked the students to analyze rhetoric strategies, discuss the pieces of a good thesis, think through their thoughts by creating an outline, research their topics in order to locate strong supporting facts, gain feedback on rough drafts from both classmates and their teacher, and then learn to document resources through the outrageously confusing format of MLA.

I don't know how well I'm doing. Some of these students are really nailing the tasks, but others just aren't getting it at all. Today (Wednesday) I began to introduce MLA through a video & power point, but even before starting I knew that a good portion of these kids were never going to get it. I feel as though I need to continue teaching the concept of documentation since I have included it in this assignment, and I truly think that this knowledge will prove helpful come high school, but is it worth confusing the kids even more?

No comments:

Post a Comment